Tidbits from the Westhoek
A visit to the Hop Museum (Poperinge), The Old Cheese Factory (Passchendaele) and chocolatier Vandaele (Ieper). This arrangement is available by reservation only, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
This arrangement introduces you to some of our world famous regional export products: hops from Poperinge, cheeses made in Passchendaele and the chocolate confectionery from Ieper.
The day kicks off with a visit to the Hop Museum where we enter the universe of hops, the key-ingredient of beer. After tasting the local special bier called "Hommelbier" we set off for "De Oude Kaasmakerij". After a guided tour you can try some of our world famous cheeses. We conclude with a visit to a distinguished maître-chocolatier in the very heart of Ieper, where there are of course more samples waiting for you.
* 10.00 – 11.30 am: visit to the Hop Museum in Poperinge and tasting the local beer.
* 12.00 am: lunch (There is a restaurant at the Old Cheese Factory)
* 2.00 – 4.15 pm: Visit to the Old Cheese Factory in Passchendaele
* 4.30 – 5.00 pm: The last stop: chocolatier Vandale. Degustation of several chocolaty delicacies.
* Admission: from € 18 pp (guides and lunch not included)
* Guide Hop Museum: € 60,00/guide
* Guide The Old Cheese Factory: € 30,00/guide
* Minimum 15 persons
In Poperinge, traditional games have certainly outlived the more modern forms of recreation. How about a set of pullepinnen, sjoelbak, pudespel, boltra? For groups (minimum number of 10 adults) and upon reservation we suggest itineraries in which your party makes a number of stops in cosy pubs dotted in the countryside where you enjoy these games over a local real ale, a sandwich, pancakes...
Bookings can be made at Tourism Poperinge.
Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery is the prime witness of more than four years of violent warfare. From 1915 until 1920 the hamlet of Lijssenthoek became the venue for the biggest evacuation hospital in the Ypres Salient. Today the cemetery evokes daily reflections of the Great War.
The visitor centre offers you an interpretation of this unique site.
Daily open from 9 am - 6 pm | Free Admission